USA immigration as a Software Engineer

Article by JobTerix IN DESIGN & ILLUSTRATION - 12/8/2022

The USA is a hub for tech companies and startups, making it the ideal country to live in if you are a software engineer. Getting a Visa to live in the USA is not very easy since thousands of people apply for it every day. However, it is much easier to justify getting this Visa if you are in an in-demand profession such as software engineering.

Getting a nonimmigrant (temporary) Visa.

Working in the USA requires a nonimmigrant Visa or a green card. You will have to start by getting a nonimmigrant Visa since getting it is easier and faster than getting a green card. There are several types of nonimmigrant Visa that you can get, but the ideal options for highly skilled professionals like software engineers include the following;

H-1B visa for IT professionals and software engineers

This is one of the most common Visas that most IT professionals and software engineers get on their first attempt to stay in the USA. The key minimum requirements for this Visa include the following;

• A bachelor’s degree or higher in computer science, software engineering, or any other profession related to software engineering.

• Proof of a job offering in a registered USA Company

• The employer must confirm that there are no qualified US applicants

• The employer must confirm that they are willing to pay the applicant the minimum wage

This Visa is issued for only three years, and your maximum stay is limited to six years unless you prove that you are already in the process of getting a green card to stay in the country permanently.

L-1 Visa for IT professionals and software engineers

This Visa option is for professionals in a highly specialized field or management position outside the USA. If you fall under this category, you may consider applying for this Visa. Your employer must demonstrate that your skill level is above average. This Visa allows you to stay in the USA for up to seven years.

Processing a green card

After getting any of the above Visas, consider processing a green card if you want to work permanently in the USA. Your employer needs to start applying for a green card after the first two years of your Visa. The process usually takes several years, and it involves three main stages;

• Labor certification PERM (Program electronic review management)

• Submitting the I-140 application

• Submitting the I-485 application

If successful, a green card is issued to both the employee and his immediate family members.